[OT] Re: [OT] TOTPs not offered in HD (720p)

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 13:13:06 PST 2016

On 2016-01-11 19:30, Jim web wrote:
> We're drifting OT here but:
>
> Does the below explain why if I take a recorded .ts file I've grabbed
> from
> DVB-T2 though
>
> ffmpeg -i recorded.ts -acodec copy -vcodec copy cleaned.ts
>
> the resulting cleaned.ts plays in VLC with fewer problems than the
> recorded.ts ?
>
> i find that trying to 'jump' the point being played in VLC tends to
> crash
> VLC when playing the recorded.ts but not the cleaned.ts. When a time
> jump
> works, the display depixellates quicker as well.

If you look at the off-air TS in something* you'll see lots of crud.
There's lots of useless streams: now/next for adjacent channels and a
bunch of other irrelevant PSI (search "Program-specific information" and
read the WP article) which ffmpeg is almost certainly not remuxing.

VLC will interpret quite a lot of this - certainly the Now & Next plus
teletext subtitles, DVB subtitles (with glyphs), second audio streams
and so on. I suspect it's simply because it's having to work harder and
work through more interleaved streams to get to what you're after.

* DVB Inspector, dvbsnoop, Packet Analyzer
(http://www.pjdaniel.org.uk/mpeg/), TSReader, StreamGuru...