320kbps radio audio available via MPEG-DASH

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Jan 8 13:37:58 PST 2016

On Fri Jan 8 14:41:43 GMT 2016, Jim web wrote:

> I think I now need to sort out switching
> to HLS for radio fetching rather than RTMP!
> (snip)
> The 320k via HLS has been available for some months
> for most of the BBC stations.

Hi Jim - what you describe has indeed been true
for LIVE RADIO streams; GiP 2.94 already records
the 320kbps/48kHz AAC LC live streams (when in the UK)
via AppleHLS, it's the "hlsaachigh" liveradiomodes, e.g.

get_iplayer --type=liveradio --pid=bbc_radio_two --liveradiomode=hlsaachigh
--force

> what has been said here about using
> HLS for radio

 What was recently discussed here in the list
was the availability of AOD (Listen Again)
BBC Radio at elevated bitrates via MPEG-DASH
streaming method (previously, only Radio 3 via RTMP
was offered at 320kbps...).
I first became aware of the existence of 320kbps AAC LC
streams for radio on demand at the start of November last year;
the default in a desktop browser is now AdobeHDS method,
but should you opt in for the HTML5 iPlayer (Radio) (depends
on browser, its version and your OS), MPEG-DASH
streams are served to you...
 So, adding to James's excellent post, either
you meant something else or you somehow
misunderstood the topic discussed recently -
happens to me also when I skim posts quickly :-)
Always eager for your otherwise educated posts!

Kind regards