320kbps radio audio available via MPEG-DASH

James Scholes james at jls-radio.com
Fri Jan 1 06:35:47 PST 2016

Jim web wrote:
> When I was talking to some people at the BBC months ago to write
> about the then-new "Audio Factory" changes they told me that the
> end-aim was to provide 320k aac streams for all the 'UK' radio
> stations - i.e. radios 1,2,3,4, etc. Thus ending the situation where
> radio 3 got special treatment. ('Local' and 'Regional' stations may
> remain at at lower standard as they are handled slightly
> differently.)

This is far from exhaustive, but just to note that programs from BBC
Radio Leeds also seem to be available in 320k AAC_LC.  More testing is
required.

Simon Nash wrote:
> Thanks for letting us know about this.  Would you like to make your
> script available for others to use?

I'll put up a GitHub repo soon and report back when I've made a bit more
progress.  At the moment the script is barely even a proof-of-concept -
it can fetch playlists to verify that the 320k audio is available, and
return the URL of the DASH manifest file.  The next step is to parse
those manifest files in order to get the URLs to the parts of the media
for download, before combining them into one MP4/M4A.

Thanks for your interest.
--
James Scholes
http://twitter.com/JamesScholes