BBC Breakfast News - 3 Feb 2016

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Feb 3 12:14:20 PST 2016

On Wed Feb 3 18:19:54 GMT 2016, CJB wrote:

> Inspecting the browser (Chrome) Console

... So now I have my answer: "BBC One Breakfast"
is being streamed live on iPlayer in the morning...

On Wed Feb 3 18:42:53 GMT 2016, CJB wrote:

> if http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone
> could be redirected to previous programmes
> they should be there for the playing of.
> That was my experience this morning.
> I kept the Breakfast News page current
> (i.i. I did not refresh it) and could still play
> the News programme file even after
> two succeeding programmes had gone by.

... What you have described Chris is a feature
of iPlayer's called "Live Rewind" - it has been
with us for Live TV from as back as 2012, and it has
been recently also implemented for live radio
(e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two ;
enables moving to the start of current live radio show).

 In layman's terms, the embedded online
player (more accurately, the streaming
CDN server) buffers a portion of the live stream
(which for TV I think is 2 hours worth)
which enables you to either "Restart the current
programme" or, by moving the slider to the left,
access content broadcast in the past 2 hours.

The streaming method that enables this feature
is called AdobeHDS - GiP does not (and most probably
will not in future) support that; there is a dedicated
tool (PHP script) that enables the recording of
un-encrypted AdobeHDS streams; it has been
also patched to be compatible with the Live Rewind
capability - if present - of such streams, so yes,
it is possible to record even parts of the "buffer-in-the-past"
(albeit with some manual calculation...), provided
not much time has elapsed since the live
broadcast (because fresher content always
overwrites the staler one in the buffer).
(Of course, I won't be providing any "how-to"s here
or elsewhere, it's doable and for a commited person
all the info is out there on the net...)

On Wed Feb 3 18:24:09 GMT 2016, I wrote:

>  a personal favourite (not a plug) is the free:
> http://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/avi-trimmer-mkv/
> (supports only AVI or MKV container,

I was stuck at previous (free) version 2.0,
but it appears new version 5.0 does support,
among many other improvements, the MP4
container, too; no need to first remux to MKV.
There is a catch: as much as it is an excellent
video/audio editing programme, being a freeware
entails the setup to use OpenCandy during
installation; decide for yourself...

Regards,
V.