BBC videos outside main iPlayer site

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Aug 28 18:23:58 PDT 2016

On Mon Aug 29 01:29:16 BST 2016, James Herbert wrote:

> I know this may be a really silly question.
> Can get_iplayer be used to download videos
> such as the one at the bottom of this page?

Hello James and welcome to the list :-)

Why do you reckon your question might be silly?
The truth of the matter is that the code maintainer
of GiP has only left limited support for embedded
audio/video BBC clips, apart from content on the main
iPlayer TV/Radio pages.

(Some) BBC News & BBC Sports clips are still supported
in the latest GiP 2.96 but downloading those clips is now
a deprecated feature and the coder has stated that
when the beeb breaks it again, no more effort
will be undertaken on his part to restore that broken
GiP functionality...

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z8d2mp3/revision/3
>
> I've tried searching for that short code and URL
> using the web PVR but to no avail.

Since the "Bitesize" pages are not supported,
what you need to realise is that in order for GiP
to fetch such a clip, it has to be fed the clip's PID;
unfortunately, this is not always a straightforward task... :-(

With flash installed, when you right-click the player
you sometimes get the video's PID; but not in this case:

p0233186 / programme / 0

The first string is the versionPID (vpid), it's still useful
for downloading streams but not with GiP; you would need
the second string (after "programme"), but in this case
it's empty...

A sure way to retrieve the clip's PID is by
scavenging the Page Source (accessing page source
varies depending on browser used...).
Then search Page Source for "pid"; the first instance
matched will give you the clip's PID:

data-pid="p023317q"

=> --pid=p023317q

Using the retrieved PID you can access that clip's
main iplayer page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023317q

You can use that URL in the Web PVR Manager's
"Quick URL" input field to download it or use
the CLI to fetch (I don't use the GUI myself...):

get_iplayer --type=tv --pid=p023317q --modes=hlsbest

(fetches hlsvhigh1 - if you prefer flashmodes,
use --modes=flashbest).

Regards,
Vangelis.