Audio/Video Out of Sync

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 09:38:35 PDT 2016

In article <B04A7F0A4DF44D208991F346B2C8FF59 at vasonote>, Vangelis
forthnet
<northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> wrote:
> On Tue Aug 16 09:28:04 BST 2016, Jim web wrote:

> >> I think what has caused confusion is that the transition from v2.94
> >> to v2.95 made several changes at the same time.
> > (snip) Yes. My apologies for missing this change.

> Yet, you had been made aware of those changes in a verbose manner with
> my post of  Aug 3rd:

> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2016-August/009353.html

[snip]

Yes. Sorry again about missing this. However it is a complex tale in part
because I was using my front end which lets me give it a file with lines
like

t p044abcd
r p934352h
h b0ytytypp

etc.

It then fetches the items, using the chosen set of settings for each, and
puts them into appropriate output directories.

Here I had preset my front end so the first letter chose a preset series of
options. (t for the old 'flash' mode, r for the DASH-MPEG fetching of the
320k radio streams, h for 'hls', etc.)

So for many months I've been using this approach having forgotten the
actual mode settings I specified for each 'letter'! I then installed the
current gip and immediately focused on the hlshd fetching... which I was
doing by issuing commands in a terminal. This threw up the 'no sound'
problems with VLC as well as my looking at the missing segments questions.

 I then switched back to using my front end program to autofetch some items
'as normal' in the morning. Having forgotten I'd used a 'best' setting
rather than something more mode specific for the t mode fetching. And also
having forgotten why this might matter.

Self-made trap. :-/

> > I was then wondering about what 'sequence' of modes would be best
> > for finding the 'best available' version.

> In GiP 2.95 (release), the hls tvmodes are the default; not specifying
> a tvmode or setting --tvmode=best means that GiP will exhaust all hls
> modes (from higher to lower quality) until it finds the best available
> one.

> If you want the best available among the hvf tvmodes, then set
> --tvmode=hvfbest Likewise, use --tvmode=flashbest.

> If hvfhd isn't available (720p50fps), it's a good bet that neither
> hlshd nor flashhd (both 720p25fps) are; I would try myself
> --tvmode=hvfbest to fetch either hvfsd (540p50fps) - if available - or
> hvfvhigh (540p25fps); both flashvhigh/ hlsvhigh (468p25fps), which are
> the next step down from missing flashhd/hlshd, are slightly inferior to
> hvfvhigh...

OK. Thanks. At present I'm waiting to see if the segmentation problems get
fixed. If they do I'll probably use the hls for routine tv but the hvfhd by
preference for things like Proms because of the higher audio bitrate.

> But again, 95% of the answers to your queries here in the list are
> found in the detailed FAQs/ Release Notes that dinkypumpkin
> painstakingly compiled:

> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release295

> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/faq

> DO READ THEM!

I confess I have read them in the past. But tend to find the details
complex and easy to forget.

Jim