Audio/Video Out of Sync

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 02:14:18 PDT 2016

In article <6688868477144804BAF7EFA66BCD19BD at RJCDESK>, RS
<richard22j at zoho.com> wrote:
> >From: Jim web Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2016 16:48

> >However the 'American in Paris' snippet file I fetched gives no sound
> >at all from VLC! The video looks fine, but its a silent film! 8-)

> An American in Paris (p044lmdc) plays fine here with VLC.  I used
> --tvmode hvfhd and it downloaded hvfhd1.  It is 14min58s and 553MByte.
> Unlike the broadcast, there is only one stereo sound track.

I also used hvfhd1 mode but via

--modes=hvfhd

but I assume that's a synonym for using --tvmode here (?)

And yes, I've used ffprobe to check. The files all seem to have just one
stereo audio aac track. The good news there is they are higher bitrate than
the hlshd versions.

Another curio is that yesterday I started fetching the hvfhd version of the
Wilson/Gershwin prom but ctrl-C'd it after a few mins because I didn't want
over 4 MG more download during the daytime. That snippet *did* play out
audio with VLC.

However I fetched the entire file this morning before 9am. This file
*doesn't* play any audio when I give it to VLC. But again, ffprobe says the
audio is there.

Like others, I wish there was a 25pfs 1280x720 hvfhd. Indeed, to me for
things like proms it would make more sense to use 25fps with a 320k stereo
aac audio stream!

I suspect the problem I am getting is something about the version of VLC I
am using or its settings. So I'll raise that on a Linux group in case
someone there can twig it.

Jim