Audio/Video Out of Sync

tellyaddict tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 09:12:46 PDT 2016

My understanding of what Jim has said is that all the HLS recording modes are legacy streams served only by Akamai. For these legacy streams, the BBC send the programme files to Akamai and they (Akamai) then segment and upload the programme to their servers. It seems that the processing that Akamai are doing is what is at fault and causing the missing segment errors that we are seeing.

The new generation of HLS streams are the ones served by both Akamai and Limelight. In 2.95 they are the HVF modes. These programmes are segmented and packaged by the BBC and then sent to Akamai. Akamai are not processing these files and they are fault free.

The Olympics are mostly only being processed into HVF format, so the BBC is doing all the processing of these and Akamai are NOT being asked to process them for HLS (on the legacy system) which is why this option is not available on most Olympics content.