episode oddity

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed Aug 3 14:21:50 PDT 2016

On 3 August 2016 at 20:12, Shevek <shevek at shevek.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> "WARNING: Segment not found (xxx)"
> "WARNING: There may be a gap near yyy secs in programme"
>
> If I then retry using FLASHHD the download completes without error.
>
> So, it appears that the beeb's HLS encoding/streaming is producing
> corrupt files.
> [...]

I was just listening to some radio on my iPad using the BBC Radio app,
which I believe downloads/streams hls behind the scenes.  This skipped
in a couple of places, and got stuck in a loop somewhere else.  I'm on
the end of a rock-solid fibre connection with oodles of bandwidth, so
I'm content that it's not a sticky internet connection.

So if the beeb's own applications can't get a solid programme without
gaps and errors, get-iplayer won't be able to either.

Jon