Request for BBC Contact - OT

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Apr 6 08:05:33 PDT 2016

Like Jim I hope that the EU will outlaw national copyright licences on the
ground that they partition the single market.  I do find it disturbing that
now this is on the horizon there have been moves in the opposite direction.
If you look at the footprints of Hotbird 13 and Astra at 19°E there is a
kink in the contours showing that the beam has been modified to include the
Canaries so those satellites can be received there with a 1m or 1.2m dish.
There are also transponders on Astra 2 which can be received there with a
similar size dish.  However the main broadcast channels have been moved to
transponders with narrower and narrower beams.  Those channels have not been
able to be received in the Canaries for 4 or 5 years.  Since January 2015
they have not been able to be received in southern Spain.  Shortly after
that change steps were taken to prevent VPNs circumventing the geographic
restrictions on iPlayer.

In the case of films, copyright belongs to the companies which made the
films.  However a lot of material has been commissioned by the BBC.  In the
11 years between the Whitford report and the CDPA a fierce battle raged over
the ownership of copyright in commissioned works.  In the end it was decided
not to change the law.  Since then there has been at least one case in which
the Court imposed a trust, so that the commissioner owned the copyright.  If
that is right, the BBC may own the copyright in works it has commissioned.
Who is the BBC?  The answer must be it is us, the licence fee payers.  The
BBC Trust owns the copyright on trust for us.  We ought to be able to grant
ourselves licences to watch and listen to the material we have paid for when
we are on holiday elsewhere in Europe, and possible throughout the world.

As for region coding of DVDs, it is mainly a bluff.  I only have a few DVDs
labelled Region 1, but none of them is region coded.  Of the Region 2 DVDs I
have which I have looked at, the majority are not region coded.  One
organisation which does code its DVDs as Region 2 is the BBC.