Outlook Express 6 on WinXP and this list

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 6 05:18:25 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-06 at 13:12 +0100, Richard Cole wrote:

> At the time I thought the subject line might have been embargoed.  It
> was --p???? option.  I have since see a comment that discussion of
> that option is banned.

I don't believe there are any such topic-specific filters in place.

The only thing we have is basic email hygiene. Use a proper email
client which doesn't screw up the *basics*, and use it properly.

In particular, your replies should actually have the right threading
headers to mark them as replies. And when you *aren't* trying to reply
to an exiting thread, your message *shouldn't* have those headers.

Both failure modes happen. The former because of broken mail clients,
the latter because of broken users (who lazily hit 'reply' to an
existing thread and then just change the subject. This is called
"thread hijacking" as their message ends up *in* the original thread as
a complete digression from it.

--
dwmw2