Request for BBC Contact - OT

S Byers s_byers666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 21:30:07 PDT 2016

You could ask here:

missingepisodes.proboards.com

They are not that interested in Radio but they do have the connections you seek.

In a way what you report is inevitable. And I think that you are going to see more of such sharing or trading. At least the person isn't selling the programmes you mention. And what they are offering is likely to be at low bitrates - even programmes from iPlayer are only at a max of 128 kbps. Recordings from DAB broadcasts are even worse.

The OTR scene is huge. The various BBC programmes' fan bases is also huge. And don't forget hundreds if not thousands of programmes and episodes have been saved by home-recordists when the Beeb has wiped its own versions.

Incidentally a friend of mine had many recorded programmes on reel-reel / cassette tapes from 40 / 50 years' ago. These were offered back to the Beeb - who declined the offer. They were only interested in having broadcast quality recordings of such that would be commercially viable, e.g. Dad's Army, Navy Lark, etc. Since the Beeb isn't interested in what I have then where should these recordings go? Maybe into the public domain - like Paul Temple - or more likely in his case landfill?

But this draconian policy of the Beeb at refusing home-taped programmes from long ago is not all.

Recently the Beeb reportedly lost millions of license fee payers' cash in an abortive project to digitise its own archives.

The BBC Shop has just closed down.

The BBC Store online basically doesn't work.

In recent years the demise of RadioArchive and TB really upset OTR (and other) fans.

So other sharing sites have sprung up. Magnet / DHT is rising in popularity rather than private trackers.

The Usenet Groups are still active - but the technology has grown old.

In the USA there are numerous Yahoo Groups and fans devoted to OTR who are collecting, restoring, documenting and archiving long lost series of radio programmes.

In the UK we have nothing like this.

So the Paul Temple programmes you mention have appeared on more up-to-date media channels. Maybe you and we should be grateful that they have been saved for the fans and not wiped forever.

Just a few thoughts - SB