Problems with --exclude-supplier=akamai and HD downloads

Nick Payne nick.payne at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 14 15:55:24 PDT 2015

For many months I have used --exclude-supplier=akamai on my GiP command
line as it results in a 10- or 12-fold increase in download speed
compared to the throughput I get without that option - with the option,
an hour long problem @1280x720 will download in around 5-6 minutes,
without it the download takes about an hour. The command line I have
been using is

get_iplayer --pid=xxxxxxxx --exclude-supplier=akamai

I returned from a weeks holiday yesterday and attempted to download a
couple of BBC Proms programs using my normal command line, but found
that 1280x720 resolution was not found and the download started at
832x468 resolution. Killed the download, removed the
--exclude-supplier=akamai option, and the download started at 1280x720,
but I was back to the much slower download speed.

Any suggestions on how I can still get HD downloads at the faster rate?
Running GiP 2.94 on Windows 8.1.

Nick