Requests For Features

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Sep 13 09:49:56 PDT 2015

On Sun Sep 13 15:48:42 BST 2015, Budgie wrote:

> Using gfv gives me, not surprisingly, .flv files.
> I thought when I used it a couple of years back
> that it could deliver .mp4.

Hello!

GFV is a multi-downloader, supporting a vast variety of sites.
Each site may use a different streaming method,
hence the downloaded file will vary in its container/file extension...

If you're using GFV to fetch ITV video-on-demand,
this is being streamed via RTMPE protocol and the tool
GFV uses to do the fetch is rtmpdump - AS I HAVE POSTED
MANY TIMES IN THIS LIST IN THE PAST, RTMPDUMP
ALWAYS SAVES THE DOWNLOADED STREAM WITHIN
THE FLV CONTAINER, HENCE THE PROPER FILE
EXTENSION SHOULD BE ".flv"

You can losslessly remux to another container (e.g. MP4/MPEG-TS)
post download via ffmpeg; I have posted the relevant command
in one of our previous exchanges, both here in the list and in private
(ffmpeg -i "itv.flv" -c copy -f mp4 "itv.mp4" ; I also use
"-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc" in the above command, maybe it's not strictly
needed - as someone said - but to include it won't do any harm...).

For the record, prior to Feb 2013, GFV - via its
itv.pm plugin - used to save ITV VOD with a wrong
file extension ".mp4"; again, that was audio-video
streams saved by rtmpdump inside the FLV container,
but the file was erroneously given the ".mp4"
extension, when it should've been ".flv";
this inconsistency was fixed by commit:

https://github.com/njtaylor/get-flash-videos/commit/4a1cd86b3599aa03c405267331c9cb408fea767c

So, YES, your imagination is not playing tricks on you...

Many regards,
Vangelis.