pop art

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 08:24:34 PDT 2015

In article <20150902125224.GC22442 at bytemark.barnyard.co.uk>, David
Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:38:15PM +0100, Jim web wrote:
> > In article <20150901164651.GE9945 at bytemark.barnyard.co.uk>, David
> > Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > > This is not the case. They have clue, but they think that supporting
> > > the 99.9% of people who use something vaguely modern is more
> > > important than catering for people who deliberately crippled their
> > > own experience.
> > Well, this isn't the place to argue about it at length. But in
> > fairness the people I know at the BBC simply aren't that deberately
> > arrogant.

> There's nothing arrogant about it. They want to provide the best service
> they can to the vast majority of users, within the constraints imposed
> by their budget and rights ownership etc.

Agreed as obvious. :-)

> That means that they have to make choices about which platforms get the
> most attention, which get some attention, and so on.

No. Your assertion is that is what it "means" is a statement of what you
believe.

The primary point of HTML and webpages has from the start to allow content
creator to not need to care what browsers/setting/user preferences may be.
The aim being to provide for the widest range with the least effort.

> They might not phrase it like I did when speaking to the public, but
> that *is* what they think.

If you want to go on arguing about this maybe you can say which BBC page
creators have told you this.

But even better, take it to the newsgroups as your/my opinions on this
aren't the purpose of this email list.

Snip further assertions of OSAF.

> I presume you would agree that it is a Good Thing to try to send
> appropriate stuff to the various different platforms? Well, that means
> that they have to somehow detect what your platform is. That they get it
> wrong for some really obscure platforms is to be expected.

Nope. The primary point of HTML markup was to mean the page creator didn't
need to know what 'platform' any user had. They just need to write HTML
that follows the openly agreed standards for HTML.

Apologies to others, I won't waste time on this again.

Jim