BBC iPlayer cracks down and blocks VPN users

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 05:45:21 PDT 2015

In article <E35D2A1B-5BEF-46B5-B1E0-EA3BD8526FE0 at gmail.com>,
Fearghas
Mckay <fearghas at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 9 Oct 2015, at 07:32, George Eycott <george at eycott.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I agree - was not suggesting otherwise. Though the overseas and VPN
> > part of your statement is irrelevant. If people do not pay the license
> > fee and get BBC stuff for nothing they are stealing stuff we pay for.
> > Don't care where they are or how they do it.

> So as a UK resident who can't receive TV so I don't pay for a TV licence
> you think I should be regarded as a thief ? nice... Perhaps you should
> check the current legal situation of the licence fee before accusing
> folk of stealing.

Perhaps in return you should admit it is questionable that you can access
what you don't pay for. That might be fairer than semantic arguments about
the use of words like "strealing".

> And then perhaps stay on topic on the list ?

Indeed. If people want to argue about this, do it via your MPs or MEPs or
MSPs, or whoever the relevant politicians may be for you. Get the rules
changed so they make more sense. But as things stand the BBC are under
financial pressure, etc, to prevent people accessing UK broadcast material
from outwith the UK. And a failure to deal with it would cost fee payers
more, and/or result in a reduction in what can be obtained for the given
amount.

Jim