BBC iPlayer cracks down and blocks VPN users

George Eycott george at eycott.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 03:33:36 PDT 2015

Although get_iplayer is not intended to bypass geographical restrictions,
the news does explain why some people are getting the error messages that
they have been seeing (bear in mind some people may be using a VPN from
within the UK). They may have thought it was a get_iplayer issue whereas in
fact it isn't, I see it as a helpful bit of information myself... It is far
more on topic than some of the emails that have been sent through here about
web design!