Can I run AtomicParsley on GiP downloaded .m4a files?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 30 10:05:30 PST 2015

On Mon Nov 30 16:54:26 GMT 2015, Budge wrote:

> AtomicParsley was not available to GiP cron jobs
> so I have the radio downloads as .m4a files
> but they have not been tagged
> (Snip)
> can I run AtomicParsley on the existing .m4a files
> and retrieve the situation?

Hi Alastair - you can use the CLI to tag .m4a filres
with the "--tag-only" switch.

With GiP 2.94, you must:
1. Place the .m4a file in the default GiP downloads folder,
i.e. where it was initially downloaded by GiP.
2. Make sure the audio file has the original filename
(<fileprefix>) given to it by GiP.
3.Make sure the downloaded file appears in your "history" file
(it should by default, unless you do some sort of manual edit
to it, or use --trim-hstory switch)
4. Use "--history" switch in conjuction with "--tag-only" to tag
without refetching file:

get_iplayer --history pid:xxxxxxxx --tag-only --tag-podcast-radio

"pid:xxxxxxxx" means: search history file for pid=xxxxxxxx,
this string should be present in the default file prefix of downloaded file.

If the downloaded file has been renamed/relocated, you can again
tag via a modified command containing --tag-only:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=xxxxxxxx --force --modes=best --file-prefix="new_file_name"
 --outputradio="path-to-new-location" --tag-only --tag-podcast-radio

The caveat in this method is that pid=xxxxxxxx should still be available on
iPlayerRadio.

GiP 2.95 will bring a change to that,
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/e1124984e766466d20ec2be9a99e54589d693c94
via the introduction of the "--tag-only-filename" switch;
its value would be the path to the untagged file;
every pid string associated with a BBC programme
is unique, its metadata needed for tagging remain
online regardless of its iPlayer availability...

PS: There's one thing that does not make sense
to me in this thread, based on your reports so far:
A tagless .m4a file should be playable in a software/
hardware media player as much as its tagged counterpart;
yet you stated in your OP that your Linn device would
just not play it back (???) - this is odd, to say the least...
In the past there had been reports in the list/forum of
hardware players not being able to handle tagged
MP4/M4A files, not vice versa...

Regards,
Vangelis.