Downloads hanging

Nick Payne nick.payne at internode.on.net
Wed May 13 14:55:35 PDT 2015

On 14/05/2015 01:06, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> On Wed May 13 09:27:37 BST 2015, Jed Robbins wrote:
>
>> In the last few weeks my downloads have stopped working.
>> Get_iplayer seems to connect but then nothing happens i.e.
>> get_iplayer 2.92-ppa22,
>> RTMPDump v2.4-n87-gita9f353c-ppa8~saucy
>> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team;
>> license: GPL
>> Connecting ...
>>
>> This happens for tv and radio
>> and on both linux and windows.
>
> Hello Jed :-)
> Win32 user here, so can't offer much help
> with regards to your Linux(-ish) installation,
> but since your issue is not OS specific,
> I would hazard a guess that something's
> gone awry recently in your network settings...
> Have you changed anything in your modem/router?
> Are you behind a hardware/software firewall?
> Maybe using a VPN?
> Internet Security software mis-configured?
>
> Is your Windows GiP also the latest, i.e. 2.92?
> If yes, please try a download (e.g. radio) command
> asking for a flashmode and add the --verbose
> (or even ----debug) switch; then focus (and maybe post)
> on that part of the log where rtmpdump
> attempts to connect...
> Default rtmpport is 1935, so it must be open
> in your network.
> Open in a browser this URL:
> http://www.therealtimeweb.com/index.cfm/2004/10/2/fms-port-tester
> If port 1935 does not pass the test,
> and 443/80 do, then repeat the GiP
> command by adding --rtmpport 443 (or 80).
>
> As far as Jon Davies' suggestion goes,
> in 2.92 there's a new option that allows
> for a more precise way of connecting to a
> particular CDN:
> --exclude-supplier
> In the UK, the default CDN is usually Akamai;
> If your issue is, as suggested, caused
> by the inability of rtmpdump to connect to a
> specific CDN (you first have to explore the
> rtmpports matter, then use your verbose log to
> identify the problematic CDN), you can add
>
> --exclude-supplier akamai
>
> and let GiP try an alternate CDN, like Limelight.

I've found when downloading TV programs - don't know why it happens -
that if I use --tvmode=best, which virtually always defaults to
flashhd1, that my downloads will chug along at about 1.5Mbit/sec. If
instead I use --tvmode=flashhd2, the downloads will run at pretty much
my full connection speed of just under 15Mbit/sec.

This happens on both Linux and Windows with GiP 2.92.

Nick