partialproxy - tv only?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Jun 7 16:55:32 PDT 2015

On Sun Jun 7 15:42:26 BST 2015, Arthur Murray wrote:

> Yes, unfortunately this requires a lot of manual intervention.

Hi - the way the --proxy option is applied to GiP
cannot meet your needs...
--proxy is oblivious to the prog type about to be fetched...
If what you ask for were to be realised, a new option/switch
would have to be created (e.g. --proxytv), either a standalone
one or one used in conjuction with --proxy, that would specifically
proxy URL requests for --type=tv. This is, in theory, feasible,
but a rewrite of the script in several places would be needed -
if you know perl or can find someone who does and is willing,
then... but do not expect this to be done officially...

> If using the PVR (and it finds new TV and RADIO items)
> it would appear to require manual editing all of the /pvr files
> to handle TV and RADIO differently.

I am not using either the PVR nor the GUI (WPM). I am
performing ad-hoc downloads via the CLI, 95% of which
are audio (radio files/audio clips).
How are you setting/using the PVR - via CLI or WPM?
If via WPM, one way that you can semi-accomplish what you want is if
you use the WPM and add Searches manually:
1. Perform your radio searches in WPM - then manually add the
results to persistent/one-off PVR searches (via "Add Search to"/
"Add Series"/"Queue"),
seeing that the "Web proxy URL" input field is empty.
Under PVR list you are able to see that your
radio PVR searches will be executed direct (no proxy used).
2. After you've finished with radio, perform your
TV searches in WPM; after the results are found,
set the proxy value inside the "Web proxy URL" input field
and hit "Apply Settings" - then add your TV searches to
persistent/one-off PVR searches.
Under your PVR List tab you can now see your
unproxied Radio searches & your proxied TV ones.
Then it's a matter of just clicking "Run PVR" -
no need to edit manually PVR files...
--partial-proxy is not supported by the WPM,
so it should be added in options via CLI.
WPM will overwrite the --proxy option,
if set permanently in your user options (see
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/webpvr#relationship-to-cli)

> (is it better to have a partialproxy/proxy in options,
> and add noproxy to the radio items?

If you are to keep doing this manually, then it
depends on the number of Radio vs TV PVR
searches; if radio is far more, then it'd be more
practical to edit fewer TV searches by adding
the proxy/partialproxy lines to them and not have them
in your options file permanently.
If, on the other hand, TV are more, set
proxy/partialproxy lines in your options, then
edit the fewer Radio searches with the noproxy line...

> OR no proxy in options and
> partialproxy all the tv pvr files?

The way I read the longhelp of 2.94,
--no-proxy is not to be saved permanently
in your user options - it's just a way to temporarily
override (e.g. in the CLI or a saved search)
the --proxy option, in case it already exists in
your user options...
There is no reason, obviously, to save both
options permanently (or use them together in a
command), since they cancel each other...
If, as you say, --no-proxy is saved permanently
and you edit a TV PVR search to include
--proxy, I'm afraid that when that PVR search
is run, it'll pick the --no-proxy switch from your
options and negate the --proxy option set within
the PVR search...
 (if you're using the CLI to add PVR searches,
then there's still a way to accomplish what you
want - I do not want to repeat myself, so
consult the documentation:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/documentation#pvr-usage ;
add the -p /--no-proxy option where necessary
inside the "Add the PVR search" command...).

Said enough already (and may have crossed
some red lines, too...).

Regards.