Localhost not starting up ...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Jun 5 16:55:30 PDT 2015

On Fri Jun 5 23:29:47 BST 2015, CJB wrote:

> Things were great yesterday (Thursday)
> (snip)
> Sadly things today (Friday) have not gone well.

 I'm out of my depth here (???) - I was about to say
that only YOU know what could have changed in your
system between yesterday and today (e.g. MS updates,
MSE definitions files, other AntiVirus used definition
updates etc.) when I just saw a quasi-relevant post on
the Support Forum:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/topic/web-pvr-manager-fails-to-fork-after-a-day-or-so/
(one system also being Win7).
Do not have a Win7 box here to try
and reproduce...
Given the user share of Win7,
if this is a more general issue, expect
more reports in the list/forum...

In the meantime, can you ping localhost?
In an administrator command prompt window
(Start -> "Start search field" type: cmd ->
right click the "cmd.exe" result and run as admin ->
this opens:
C:\Windows\system32>
type: "ping localhost" (without quotes), if
localhost (i.e. your own computer) is running,
you'll get something like:

Pinging (name of PC) [::1] from ::1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:

C:\Windows\system32>

It may also be that another app on your machine
is using port 1935, so there might be a port conflict...
Or for whatever reason port 1935 may have been
blocked (firewall rule?)
As a longshot, please also try
http://stackoverflow.com/a/873778
(backup your hosts file first:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
 - if you mess it up
you'll lose all internet connections...
Search the net on how to enable hosts
file editing on Win7)

> This issue has effectively stopped me
> from downloading everything and anything.

This is an over-dramatised hyperbole...
Have you tried the CLI? If it works
(most probably), it can do the same (and much
more) as the GUI - ample instructions on
how to use the CLI on the GiP Wiki:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/documentation#command-usage
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/manpage

If the CLI doesn't work at all,
then you've got a serious problem on your hands...

Regards