Downloading Italian language video "La mappa misteriosa"

tellyaddict tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 11:00:30 PDT 2015

> Can anybody tell me if it is possible to use get_iplayer to retrieve
> the video from this (and similar) pages:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/lamappa/episode/1
>
> Trying to watch the video through the web page is just about
> impossible - you get a few seconds at a time and then it pauses for a
> minute or several.  I realise the page is archived, which probably
> explains the poor response.
>
> I would normally download using the GiP command line, using PID, but
> can't find a PID or any clues to it.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

There might be a better way of doing this but what you can do is look at the source code for that page and find the playlist url for the video. In this case it's http://static.bbci.co.uk/lamappa/0.1.11/playlists/p00f6q5l.xml.

Using that with --url in the command line downloaded it for me

get_iplayer --modes=best --url="http://static.bbci.co.uk/lamappa/0.1.11/playlists/p00f6q5l.xml"