Linux Mint woes

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Thu Jul 9 03:22:44 PDT 2015

On 5 July 2015 at 09:40, Alan Milewczyk <alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:
> (I'm afraid replies along the
> lines of RTFM/"works here" aren't helpful when I thought I'd done all that).

I'm glad it's working for you now, but you hadn't "done all that".

The reason others (and I) keep referring you to the installation
instructions is that we've already written down the steps you should
go through to get a complete, consistent, and moreover *working*
installation of get-iplayer and its dependencies.  If you follow the
instructions, it works.  There's no value in re-posting those
instructions on this mailing list.

However if those installation instructions don't work, please post
with the error you get when following those instructions.

You've been getting short shrift from some because a conversation on
the lines of "aarrgghh it's hard"; "here try this simple way"; "oh,
but I insist on doing it the hard way, why is it so hard" just doesn't
make sense to some of us.  just follow the instructions *once* and it
works, and updates automatically, and all the other goodness that's
available if you want it.  What you appear to be doing is a bit like
complaining that MS Office is hard to install on Windows because you
"have" to unpack lots of individual dll files from the installation
CD, and put in lots of complicated registry entries, and run commands
to register individual dlls, and.. and...  I (generally) install
windows applications using the installers provided; similarly I've
built and maintain an installer for ubuntu and mint to make it easy to
install get-iplayer and keep it updated.

rant over.

Jon