Use First Broadcast Date in Filenames? Capitalisation?

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 14:04:15 PST 2015

Yes thanks, I already knew how to do that, I just didn't think that there
was a field for the first broadcast date, but, as Don has explained, there
is.

>     >2)	Capitalisation
>     >
>     >Is there an option to get ...
>     >		Letter From America By Alistair Cooke
>
>     >... instead of the default ...
>     >		Letter from America by Alistair Cooke
>
>     Don't you think the BBC's way of listing the programme name
>     is the correct
>     way?

In formal English, yes, the rule is that ... well ... what EXACTLY?  I was
taught that short (what does 'short' actually MEAN in this context) words
should not be capitalised.  However, we can already see that this rule
suffers from the disadvantage of lack of consistency  -  different people
apply it differently.  Consequently, for a long time now, I've thought it
illogical and daft, even more so now that so much of our output comes from
computer software, and on Linux case is significant in filenames, so the
same name with different capitalisations produces different files.

Really, it's both simpler and neater to capitalise the entire title and have
done with it.