bbc changed from mp3 to .m4a

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Feb 23 05:21:52 PST 2015

On Sat, 2015-02-21 at 12:31 +0000, SquarePenguin wrote:
> On 21/02/2015 11:42, Majid HUSSAIN wrote:
> > hi there,
> > the bbc have changed there files from .mp3 to .m4a.
> > how would I go about converting the file from .m4a back to .mp3 using the wpm?
>
> This part of the radio download guide explains how to add the preference
> permanently. You'd enter the command once using the command line version
> of get_iplayer and then future downloads would be converted.
>
> https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/radio-download-guide/#How_do_I_make_get_iplayer_automatically_convert_radio_programmes_to_MP3?

Do bear in mind that this kind of file conversion is likely to be first
against the wall when the revolution comes. A tool should do *one*
thing, and do it well. For get_iplayer, that is downloading the files.

Converting them to your favourite format du jour really ought to be left
to something else. And it *is*; it's just that get_iplayer is invoking
that something else for you.

--
dwmw2