Radio categories

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sun Feb 15 12:44:31 PST 2015

"M Clark" <mclark at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> But I am confused as there is category information in both the .rdf and
> .xml urls (.json for that matter but they may just be a reformatted .xml
> file for all I know) for radio programmes and I thought it was from these,
> certainly .rdf, that metadata was obtained.  Is this not the case?

I don't think so...  I think G_iP looks at a higher level at programmes
available per national / local radio station.

If it were to look at the per-programme rdf files, it would need to fetch
about 3,400 separate files, just to create the radio.cache file.

Once you actually tell G_iP to fetch a specific programme (or something
general for which it digs the pids out of your radio.cache file), it can
then go on a focussed search of all the places that might contain metadata
describing those specific programme.

If you run your searches and/or fetches with --verbose  you will see a list
of all the online files that the app tries to fetch along with at least some
of the key info it finds from them.  You can see the full metadata that's
available in these detail files without actually fetching files by coding

  --info

on a search command.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.