BBC Ceases To Use MP3...

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at skimble.plus.com
Wed Feb 11 08:24:18 PST 2015

"Vangelis forthnet" <northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> writes:

> On Mon Feb 9 22:24:53 GMT 2015, Christopher Woods wrote:
>
>> I use (used!) the AAC Shoutcast streams and it'll be a loss to me
>> as they're also being canned.
>> But it's like arguing with the wind to expect a Shoutcast CDN to be kept
>> running
>> just so me and half a dozen others can listen to unicast AAC... ;)
>
> Hello Christopher :-)
>
> I am one of the 6 (LOL!) others that have been enjoying
> the Shoutcast AAC live streams over the course of the last 3 years!
> Delivered over HTTP, they were a rock-steady alternative to
> the iffy RTMP ones, delivered via the Flash plugin in iPlayerRadio...
> I had bookmarked the direct stream URLs in Winamp, laptop
> connected to Hi-Fi Amp and I could easily listen to National Radios
> in very good quality...
> Recording the icy (aac) streams with VLC was a plus, too!
> Previously, I had experimented with the RTMP streams and
> get_iplayer (both for streaming to VLC and downloading),
> but in practice this was quite unreliable... :-(
> I do not lament the demise of the WMA live streams;
> the overseas version was just 48kbps, which sounded
> considerably worse than AAC-LC at 56kbps or even
> HE-AACv2 at 48kbps ! (It has to be said though that
> the [UK] version of wma at 128kbps - quite difficult to access
> from overseas - was comparable (better?) to the
> shoutcast aaclc at 128kbps one!).
> Recording and editing those WMA streams
> was a hassle too!

I've just uploaded a script called "radiostreams" onto my blog site,
and this has the usual BBC radio feeds into a format which can be
played in mpd. In fact, I'm listening to Radio Kent from that script
atm. It uses feeds from "radiofeeds.co.uk", so they may last longer
than the BBC open feeds, I hope! :)

> Most kind regards,
> Vangelis.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.6, emacs 24.4.1.0