loss of podcast feeds?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Aug 12 16:44:34 PDT 2015

On Wed Aug 12 21:55:21 BST 2015, Peter Selley wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems
> getting podcast feeds at the moment?
> (snip)
> Currently this is what I get on linux mint xfce 17.2
> (snip)
> get_iplayer --type=podcast
> (snip)
> INFO: Getting podcast Index Feeds
> .
> INFO: 0 Matching Programmes

Hi - in addition to what (most helpful) already posted
by  George Eycott, see:

(Podcast functionality broken by BBC:)
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/issues/186
created due to
(podcast feed is not downloading:)
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-501.html

So, GiP crippled once again by the beeb's actions;
unlike dinkypumpkin, I do not feel this was just a
mere c*ck up - perhaps they felt, in their divine wisdom,
that they'd given their podcast users ample time to
(re-) subscribe to the new updated podcast feeds,
so it was deemed appropriate to switch off the
redirections from the defunct feeds (that GiP relied upon)
to the updated ones (that GiP currently does not support /
won't support in future...).

So, our option now is to search on:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts
(scroll just about to the middle, where there's a
"Find Podcast: " search bar - or do a
BBCiPlayerRadio search on top of the page
and filter the results by selecting the "Podcasts" tab;
then you'll be sent to a page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/[podcastPID]/episodes/downloads

where you'll be able to fetch individual episodes
via the "Download MP3" buttons.
 On that same page you should see a "Subscribe"
white button, click -> RSS should get you the
updated feed in the form:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/[podcastPID]//episodes/downloads.rss
to be used however you please (e.g. in
your personal download scripts).

GiP tip:

That [podcastPID] string I mentioned above (to be found via a
manual search) is in fact a "Podcast series PID";
I download "Annie Mac's Mini Mix"es, for this, podcastPID=p02nrtyg;
using GiP 2.94, you can type a CLI command (or set up a PVR
search) in the form of:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=p02nrtyg --pid-recursive --modes=best --tag-podcast-radio

and that will fetch every available "Mini Mix" podcast
(not already in your history) in the M4A format; add
"--mp3" switch in your command to get the MP3 files
you used to when "--type=podcast" functioned...

The GiP command posted, currently got me the 3
episodes appearing on:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrtyg/episodes/downloads

Hope that helps somehow...

Regards,