Recent spam surge...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Apr 8 08:50:15 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 16:36 +0100, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
> On 08/04/2015 16:28, michael norman wrote:
> >
> > That's not how mailing lists generally work and if this one is setup
> > like that it needs to be changed. You should only be able to post to
> > the list if you are a member of the list.
>
> +2
> I've been a member of quite a few lists over my 20+ years on the net and
> all lists I've ever been on required you to be a member to be able to
> post to it.

Which is a barrier to entry for those people who *occasionally* want
to post to report a problem, submit a patch or ask for help, but don't
want to subscribe. Most lists I'm on do *not* require a subscription,
and many people hate the ones that do.

Yes, it might catch a tiny amount of spam, but it is usually
considered not to be worth it.

--
dwmw2