[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available

Timothy tmthywynn8 at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 10:36:44 PDT 2014

Paul Oldham <paul at the-hug.org> wrote:
> On 29/10/14 22:29, Timothy wrote:
>
>> dinkypumpkin: The BBC have removed the programme data feeds used by
>> get_iplayer...
>>
>> Well crap. This means all the RSS feeds are now gone. I was already
>> struggling with the new iPlayer interface before and was so glad for the RSS
>> feeds. Now they just abruptly disappear and I'm left floundering. Lovely.
>> --- SNIP ---
>
> I don't suppose there's any mileage in your pointing them in the
> direction of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (Part III, section
> 19)[1]?
The problem is that it's perfectly accessible, and surprisingly usable without
too much effort with a screen reader and probably other assistive tech too. The
issue I'm having is that it's more clunky than simple RSS, and I'm just not used
to it yet. That's me and personal preference so it had nothing to do with my
disability, using assistive technology, or anything like that.

I just don't like the interface and struggled with it in the past because I just
ran back to the RSS feeds the first chance I got. I sent my earlier message out
of frustration with the RSS feeds disappearing completely, without any warning
or any replacement for normal users and/or non-developers.

> It wouldn't normally carry a lot of weight sadly but this is the BBC
> we're talking about so you'd think they might pay some attention to it.
They definitely would at that. The BBC site is one of the most accessible sites
thus far and even publishes guidelines for accessibility  and/or universal
design for other sites to follow.

Timothy