[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available

Square Penguin getiplayer at squarepenguin.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 07:11:34 PDT 2014

dinkypumpkin wrote:
> http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds

Sad news. Following the links and reading through the new API docs I'm
left a little unsure as to what the BBC wants from this new setup.

Leaving aside the technical benefits it'll be interesting to see how
they seek to control the access to their data. According to what the
docs say, the data required to make get_iplayer work again should
ostensibly be available (once Nitro goes public and if get_iplayer was
altered to use such data, no small task in itself) but the use of API
keys, rate limiting and ambiguous statements like 'don't build another
iPlayer' doesn't really fill me with confidence that get_iplayer would
be 'allowed'.

I personally think get_iplayer fills a crucial niche in allowing people
to access content on devices that physically can't use the BBC's own
products and it is a sad day indeed that much of it's current
functionality has been hobbled.