Can't locate episodes that I can find through iPlayer

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:08:32 PDT 2014

On 03/10/2014 10:58, Julian Smith wrote:
> I've been wanting to find episodes of Brian Cox's radio show called
> 'Infinite Monkey Cage' via get_iplayer.  However, at the simplest level, I
> cannot find any of these episodes by doing...

Programmes generally disappear from the listings used by get_iplayer
after 7 days, so there is no way to know a programme might still be
available in the archives.

Use the URL.  Your programme doesn't need to be in the get_iplayer
listings cache, where it can be found via search.  If you have the URL
of the page where you can play back an archived episode, that's usually
enough for get_iplayer.  Series 1 episode 1 of TIMC:

get_iplayer --type=radio http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p29kc

And you can use just the PID from the URL:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b00p29kc

As easy as the proverbial pie.  Granted, for programmes like TIMC that
are also archived as podcasts it's easier to retrieve them that way.
But for those that aren't, you have an alternative.