Do Not Flush

Dave Liquorice allsorts at howhill.com
Sun Nov 23 05:28:36 PST 2014

> I usually run GIP without -g to load the cache(s), then give a series of
> bash commands separated by ';' to leave GIP downloading overnight,
> but if one of them relies on an index number, I don't want the cache
> reloaded by that or any of the preceding commands, as that will
> change the index number.

Can you not use the --pvr feature? It grabs things based on a search string contained in a simple to construct text file in the ~/.get_iplayer/pvr directory.

Doesn't matter if the index number changes due to a cache reload and a cache reload will only happen once (if at all) as all the pvr files are checked in a single get_iplayer sesssion. Obviously it'll fail if the programme falls out of the cache but if you just run it nightly that isn't likely to happen as stuff normally stays in the cache for at least 7 days.

> BTW, like you I also run GIP from my own script, gip.sh, which
> merges the configuration, cache, and download_history data
> between two machines, to prevent them redownloading the caches
> and/or the same programmes, and so that a configuration change
> made to one, or a new search term added to one, will replicate to the
> other.

Seems rather complicated, no doubt you have your reasons over a master/slave set up. Where you could just copy the cache/history/options from the master to the slave. Are the actual programme files dupicated or do the two machines look in the same place for those? TBH I'm having trouble working out why you need two machines running GIP, just have one and ssh into it from where ever you are. B-)