peculiar to BBC Radio Wales?

artisticforge . artisticforge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:04:33 PST 2014

Hello;

The new patch appears to be working just fine.
I fired up get-iplayer-automater under snow leopard on my one mac-mini.
i replaced the get_iplayer with the new patched version.
i see no reason why it will not work, but going to test more just to make sure.

get_iplayer-patch-ms5 is running excellent under Debian Linux Wheezy.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/11/2014 00:31, artisticforge . wrote:
>>
>> today, of the three BBC Radio Wales programmes that I normally get
>> all are having to be downloaded as liveradio with radiomode=wma
>> the three programmes are Roy Noble, Celtic Heartbeat and Beverley's
>> World of Music
>

> First cut at a fix now in Git:
>
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/installation#githead
>
> There have a been several similar problems reported lately (all with nations
> radio programmes so far), enough to be more than coincidental. I'm assuming
> that the mediaselector/4 API is on the way to being killed, or left to rot,
> at least in part. Whatever the case, some RTMP streams are disappearing.
> So, for anyone using this patch:
>
> - I've changed get_iplayer to use the mediaselector/5 API by default. If you
> don't know what "mediaselector/5 API" means, all you need to know is that it
> is a newer BBC interface for retrieving media stream parameters.  It should
> return RTMP stream data that is missing from the older mediaselector/4 API
> for some programmes.
>
> - AFAICT, this change seems to work for iPlayer content and BBC news site
> videos.  In the past, there were some other esoteric audio/video things that
> get_iplayer could download. I don't remember what they were specifically, or
> if they are still around.  If you find some non-iPlayer content along those
> lines that no longer works, feel free to post it. However, my attitude is
> that anything that is not iPlayer content can be thrown under the bus it
> it's any trouble to fix.
>
> - wma mode (radio) and flashlow mode (tv) are not available.  WMA is going
> bye-bye in 6 weeks, so you should be weaning yourself off it anyway.
> Lower-quality modes for video are now only available in the mobile device
> mediasets.  If you don't know what "mediaset" means in this context, all you
> need to is that it is a construct used to segment the available media
> streams into groups for different types of devices, e.g., mobile vs desktop.
> It may be possible to bring in the low-quality video modes from mobile
> mediasets, but that is a headache for another time.
>
> - Use --mediaselector=4 to return to the old behaviour, e.g., in order to
> get wma or flashlow mode.  There is no guarantee it will work, however.

terry l. ridder ><>