iplayer audio to lpcm

Jim Lesurf web at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 01:53:31 PST 2014

In article <E1XofTX-0007uA-RF at bombadil.infradead.org>, Dave Liquorice
<allsorts at howhill.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:52:46 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > < cough syrup :-) > I know from measurement and from discussions with
> > some involved that for the Proms on BBC4TV they use the R3 feed for
> > the music. BBC1/2TV do their own things, though. At times, that shows
> > up clearly in terms of things like reduced dynamic range on BBC1/2.

> I more than half expected you to know all that already. B-)  Long gone
> are the days of a pair of analogue music lines leaving site through a
> spider filled and corroded GPO block terminal then to have some hefty
> line equalisation applied.

I'm old enough to recall what even Wrotham sounded like in those days. At
least at first they only needed *one* bit of wet string to the TX so they
didn't have to match pairs for stereo. :-)  Glad I didn't live then where I
do now, the sound quality from FM north of Edinburgh must have been awful.

> Always amused me that the "golden ears" would worry about mono
> directional oxygen free crystal orientated interconnect cables...

What amuses me is when they say how much better FM is 'because its
analogue'. Presumably not knowing the BBC *still* use NICAM for the
distribution to the TXs even though these days it goes by fancy routes. 8-]

That's ignoring the extra level compression on FM as well.

> > Some quite subtle differences can crop up at times. <pun alert!> e.g.
> > the 'time travel' I found one year. The best guess we reached for it
> > was the presence of asynch resamplers in a chain.

> And all this is orgination, well before transmission/distribution for
> DTTV/DSAT/Streams/iPlayer get their sticky fingers on it.  B-)

My local favourite is the difference between our DTTV TXs at Angus and
Durris. If you check the mux listings they provide in the PIDs, one of them
lists the frequencies, etc, of muxes for *both* BBC TXs. This helps explain
why Freeview RXs here can get particularly confused if you just do an
automatic scan.

Jim