mpeg-dash and get_iplayer?

Jim web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 08:18:34 PST 2014

In article <09E44B97-5BF8-435B-B4DA-FD77B555318D at cantab.net>, Owen
Smith
<owen.smith at cantab.net> wrote:
> The mpeg-dash test streams, including the binaural and proms
> quadraphonic, work in Chrome. I know several people that listened to
> them and one that recorded the quad.

I also did try the proms examples, but failed for the same reasons here. I
need to check to see if there are any 'permanent' test streams for this so
people can experiment and develop. Didn't bother me then as I'm happy
enough with the stereo R3 stream.

Its a dilemma from my POV as I'm reluctant to install Chrome and prefer
FireFox. But I have the impression that FF simply don't want to impliment
support for this. If so it'll be a real PITA for UK FF users at such time
as the BBC switch to it. I can't be sure, but I guess they *will* at some
point once they're happy it works. Hence the tests.

I don't personally have much interest in surround sound via lots of
speakers. But I'd have been interested in the binaural 2-channel. Oh well,
I'll find out eventually even if I'm given no real alternative to Chrome.
That said, isn't someone doing a 3rd-party add-on that might let that work?
I've seen mentions on the web but nothing that makes sense to me as its an
area I've not paid much attention to in the past.

Jim