iplayer audio to lpcm

Peter S Kirk peter.kirk at isauk.biz
Sat Nov 8 14:08:59 PST 2014

On 8 Nov 2014 at 17:14, Alan Milewczyk Alan Milewczyk
<alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2014 14:10, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> > On 08 Nov, Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net> wrote:
> >> Blasted mailing list, I sent the message below as a personal reply,
> >> AGAIN. I simply cannot get my brain to accept how this list works. I'm
> >> on half a dozen other mailing lists all of which work the other way
> >> round ie. replies go to the list. Mutter.
> > I've also been a bit puzzled/confused by the list. I'd expected emails to
> > the list to just generate responses via the list. But various responses
> > have come both direct and via the list.
> >
> > I don't mind cc'ing back when I get direct responses in parallel. But it
> > does mean I am getting duplicatics and will have to set up a filter to
> > ensure these all go to the correct storage 'box' here.
> >
> > Is this all the norm here, or have I done something wrong? If the latter,
> > my apologies. Not experienced it on other lists where all by default goes
> > only via the list.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> I always felt that in a list you're replying to the whole group - so why
> duplicate a copy to an individual, as some seem to do on here? The only
> exception would be if you're sending a PRIVATE reply for one individual,
> in which case it goes to that person, not the group. I have my mail
> reader set up to transfer list mail to a list folder but I also have to
> go wading through my inbox to pick out the ones where people replied to
> an individual and cc'ed the group.

It too find it strange that clicking reply means it goes to sender rather
than list. The only lists I have seen before that are configured like that
are freeshare, freecycle, freegle etc and that is for a very good reason.

Regarding the replies to list and a cc to sender, that happens here
sometimes when I select reply to: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org from the
dropdown list. Often I glance at the To field and see their are two
recipients, then remove the original sender. No idea why that happens with
some replies and not others (this reply only had list name in to field).

I've seen David's explanation for why he personally prefers the default to
be reply to sender. However, as list (group in yahoo lingo) owner I believe
he should configure the setting to reflect list users' preference which
appears to be "Default = reply to list".

David, how about a surveymonkey poll to see what list users would prefer?

Peter