iplayer audio to lpcm

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 14:01:46 PST 2014

On 8 November 2014 21:24, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-11-08 at 14:10 +0000, Jim Lesurf wrote:
>> On 08 Nov, Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net> wrote:
>> > Blasted mailing list, I sent the message below as a personal reply,
>> > AGAIN. I simply cannot get my brain to accept how this list works. I'm
>> > on half a dozen other mailing lists all of which work the other way
>> > round ie. replies go to the list. Mutter.
>>
>> I've also been a bit puzzled/confused by the list. I'd expected emails to
>> the list to just generate responses via the list. But various responses
>> have come both direct and via the list.
>>
>> I don't mind cc'ing back when I get direct responses in parallel. But it
>> does mean I am getting duplicatics and will have to set up a filter to
>> ensure these all go to the correct storage 'box' here.
>>
>> Is this all the norm here, or have I done something wrong? If the latter,
>> my apologies. Not experienced it on other lists where all by default goes
>> only via the list.
>
> As Owen says, this has been discussed before.
>
> Your email client — every email client — has (at least) two options for
> *how* to reply to an email.
>
> First there's the private reply which goes only to the sender of the
> original email.
>
> And then there's the public "reply to all" which goes to everyone who
> received the original email.
>
> It is a heinous crime for someone to hack into your computer and hack
> your email software so that when you choose a *private* reply, you are
> actually tricked into replying in public instead.

The flaw in this logic is that when I send a message to the list I am
not sending it to individuals, I am sending it to the list.  The list
server then sends it to subscribers.  When I click reply I feel that I
am replying to the list (which is 'who' the message came from) and
expect the list then to send it on to those subscribed.  I understand
the reasoning behind the way this particular list works, but that does
not affect the fact that I and (I suspect) many others intuitively
feel that lists work.

However the fact is that this is the way the administrator of the list
want it to work and since he/she donates his free time to maintaining
it we all have to be grateful for that and accept the way it works.
There is no point complaining.  Anyone is free to set up an
alternative list running the way he believes it should.

Colin