Looks like Nitro isn't the way forward for open data - developer keys being revoked in one week :(

Philip Colmer philip at colmer.me.uk
Thu Nov 6 07:49:52 PST 2014

> If anyone else applied for a Nitro key recently, have you got the same
email?
> Doesn't look good, eh? A far cry from the initial enthusiastic "nitro is
the future"
> press releases.
> Good job I didn't actually spend weeks building anything with it in the
end, eh?

To be fair to the BBC, the Nitro web pages do say that it is closed to the
BBC at this point. The email from David Beaton says that the Apigee
developer key is being revoked. It doesn't mention a Nitro key.

I don't think that anyone outside the BBC has received a Nitro key yet. From
other blogs I've read, their priority is BBC then equipment partners then
the general public. That allows them to ensure that the APIs are solid as
they gradually roll out the service.

Personally, I do think that a way could be found to write some software that
used Nitro in an approved manner. The software would be somewhat simple in
functionality, e.g. give it some search terms then it would spit out any
URLs for programmes that correspond to the search terms. A somewhat limited
function but one that shouldn't (in theory) be in breach of Nitro terms of
use.

The URLs then could be fed into a second piece of software that doesn't
interact with Nitro itself but does a job similar to get_iplayer but without
all of the need for caching, etc.

Regards

Philip