ePetition Covering Public Data From The Likes Of The BBC

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 11:57:39 PST 2014

Needless to say, I disagree.

Cynicism is a very easy option, as it totally absolves the cynic from any
sort of public spirited exertion, far less from making any sort of stand,
and some sort of stand is usually necessary to make any gains in this life.

I see absolutely no need to keep a low profile.  For one thing, the
ePetition, which it is clear that you haven't bothered to read, is far wider
in scopt than just the BBC.  For another, the BBC and the other public
institutions covered are funded by all of us through various forms of
taxation, so we have every right to make our views known about how they/it
should be run.  For another, I do not believe we are breaking any law in
using get-iplayer or equivalent for our own private use.  For another, I
could reasonably claim to being forced into it, because the iPlayer
functionality on my media player was broken by the BBC last round of
changes.

And other organisations have, at least to an extent, taken on board this
sort of request.  For example a year or two back I finally managed, after
complaining to them bitterly all the way through DSO, to get Ofcom to
publish transmitter lists in *.CSV, rather than only as *.PDFs from which it
was cumbersome and error-prone to extract the data.

As for having any hope, it has 21 sigs after being out for just a few hours
with the pitiful publicity I have given it so far  -  actually that's the
real problem here, I just don't hang about in enough places to get it widely
known about, so if readers here want to help out, please feel free.

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html