Windows Version Manually Adding an entry

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat May 17 15:19:05 PDT 2014

On 17/05/2014 22:28, Trevor McComb wrote:
> I have several programmes which I regularly check for new episodes. I do
> this using the programme's home PID and with the --pid-recursive switch.
>
> Several programmes have clips as well as episodes. Some programmes have
> clips which never complete e.g. (p00xz497). I cannot stop the attempted
> download of these clips.

If you don't want clips, don't use --pid-recursive.  For series that are
not archived (the vast majority), --pid-recursive returns mostly
episodes that are not available and clips you probably don't want.  The
whole point of get_iplayer's caching mechanism is to catalogue available
episodes and avoid all that, so just use some presets to create canned
searches for programmes of interest.  That said, feel free to add an
option to get_iplayer to exclude clips --pid-recursive.

But if you insist, there are a few things you can do.  First, use
--attempts=N (where N between 1 and 3) to limit the number of retries
for each download. You can also limit the number of attempts by using
--modes to apply a more restrictive set of recording modes to search
for.  The clips may not download completely, but get_iplayer will drop
out much quicker and not go through very slow loops with many many
retries.  Also, clips are less likely to be available in HD, so
--modes=flashhd should skip those that aren't.  That of course assumes
you want the HD version of actual programme episodes.