Ipod playback truncated at around 20-22 mins

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat May 17 07:30:45 PDT 2014

On 16/05/2014 20:53, scrofula 101 wrote:
> Having problems with get_iplayer in Linux Mint 16 for a while now. Using
> current version 2.86. All the radio files I obtain playback fine on the
> computer but when I transfer them to ipod nano using itunes on Windows
> 8.1 they cut out at around 20-22 mins and it skips to the next track.

My first guess is that avconv might be the culprit.  This problem isn't
related to rtmpdump, and it's very unlikely to be related to iTunes.
avconv is what muxes the audio into an MP4 container, so that's where to
look first.  I don't have a nano to check, but here are a couple of
suggestions based on past experience:

1.  Add --ffmpeg-radio-opts="-movflags rtphint" to your get_iplayer
command on Mint.  That has fixed some timestamp problems on a couple of
other devices, including iPod Classic 5th gen.  No idea if it will help
with nano, but it's quick to test.

2. When you use get_iplayer on Windows and Linux distros not derived
from Debian, you're using the original ffmpeg.  Debian/Ubuntu/Mint use
avconv, part of the libav fork that was split off 3 years ago (google if
you're bored).  A very similar nano problem to yours was fixed by simply
upgrading ffmpeg from a version before the libav/ffmpeg split  to a more
recent version.  If there was some issue in the codebase before the
split that would affect nano playback, it may have persisted in libav
and thus would affect Mint.

I'm not drunk enough to look into the libav/ffmpeg divergences, but you
can test by installing the original ffmpeg from this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~jon-severinsson/+archive/ffmpeg

The version available for Saucy (and thus Mint 16) is 0.10, pretty old
by ffmpeg standards, but should be good enough.  If it doesn't work with
default parameters, also try --ffmpeg-radio-opts="-movflags rtphint" as
described above.

Be aware that this PPA ffmpeg package "upgrades" (replaces) the
libav-tools package and makes avconv a link to the original ffmpeg.  If
you decide later to remove the ffmpeg package, after removal you'll need
to remove its PPA from your configured repositories, run apt-get update,
then re-install libav-tools and get-iplayer.

If you feel like rolling your own, start here:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu