Problem with thumbnails

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:02:35 EDT 2014

On 18/03/2014 12:15, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> There are a couple of things going on:
>
> 1. The default thumbnail URL generated by get_iplayer appears to no
> longer be valid for some programmes.  For now, always use an explicit
> --thumbsize=n, where n=1-6, or add it to your preferences.  If you
> forget and get a solid grey thumbnail, you can use --thumbsize with
> --thumbnail-only to re-download the thumbnail image.
>
> 2. The AtomicParsley error only occurs on Windows, and only with
> get_iplayer HEAD.  I'm not sure why it has only begun to show up now,
> but one of my earlier changes must have fallen foul of yet another
> Windows gotcha.  For the moment, stick with the release version on
> Windows until I can sort it out.

Fixes for both the above are now in get_iplayer HEAD.  The most
important thing is to make sure #2 is fixed.  If anyone sees Windows
AtomicParsley choking on thumbnails with latest HEAD, post the affected
programme episode here.  The issue never existed on other systems -
Windows only. As for #1, if you use the Web PVR you will still come
across solid grey thumbnails in the search results until the old
thumbnail URLs are flushed out of your caches over time.  However, the
downloaded files should have the correct thumbnail embedded.  Since the
Beeb splattered iPlayer with solid grey thumbnails, I can't help but
think it may a temporary problem on their side, but there is no point in
waiting to see if that's the case.