Confused Newbie

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:44:33 EST 2014

On 07/03/2014 10:23, Barrie Avis wrote:
> I then followed the instructions under Command Line Interface (CLI) and
> got a CLI that ended up with a prompt C:\Program Files\get_iplayer> but
> do not understand what to do next.

Start here:

http://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/

Screenshots show Linux, but commands are the same on all platforms

> Next I followed the instructions under Web PVR Manager (WPM)
> I got a CLI screen that was the filled with lost of, to me,
> gobbledygook. It has not ended in a command prompt and once again I have
> no idea what, if anything I should do next.

Re-read the Windows instructions.  They tell you exactly what that
console window is and what to do after it opens

> I also got a new screen on my laptop that offered lost of TV programmes
> that I could, it seems, mark to download. Since I already have BBC
> iPlayer installed on my laptop and was able to visit the BBC website and
> ask for programmes to be downloaded to iPlayer, I am confused as to why
> I need this. It does however look to be better than what I have already
> so is that the reason for it?

get_iplayer is completely unrelated to BBC iPlayer Downloads
application.  The biggest difference is that get_iplayer works on
Linux/Unix.  Use whichever you prefer.