317 kbps radio files - really?

Chris Marriott chris at chrism.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 01:01:22 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen Smith
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:30 AM
To: get_iplayer
Subject: Re: 317 kbps radio files - really?

>Note the metadata still says 128kbps for Radio 3 like all the other
>channels, but the stream is actually 320kbps. This causes >confusion at
>times. I imagine Radio 2 would behave the same if it went 320kbps.

If it's a voice programme, rather than music, a useful option is the
"aactomp3" flag, which will transcode at 128kbps, no matter what the
original is. I use this very successfully for all the drama programmes I
record from Radio 4 Extra. Of course, for music, you may wish to retain the
320kbps for the higher quality.

Chris