Banned From Posting?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jul 31 12:25:03 PDT 2014

> On 31 Jul 2014 at 19:20, Shevek Shevek <shevek at shevek.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 31 July 2014 17:37, Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > My last post was bounced back with a suspicious header. Yet another
>> snafu due to Yahoo I suppose. CJB.
>> >

>> Chris, also ALL your emails to the group end up in my Spam folder
>> (Gmail)
>
> Prompted me to check. Same here, all Chris's emails are in spam folder on
> gmail

Right. Yahoo have bought into one of utterly moronic email "protection"
schemes where they advertise the "fact" that all mail from @yahoo.com
users must come dirdctly from a Yahoo server or else it's spam. Which is
an obviously bogus assertion, given the real world of mailing lists and
forwarding vanity/alumni domains and the like.

So messages from Yahoo users have a tendency to be marked as spam. For a
while (until recipient admins realised *just* how broken the whole concept
of this scheme is), it was actually causing mail sent out by the list to
be *rejected* by subscribers' mail servers, thus causing them to fall off
the list and causing pain for the list admin. There was talk of just
unsubscribing Yahoo users from mailing lists en masse... but thankfully it
seems that people have mostly stopped actually refusing to accept such
mail so the problem has solved itself.

--
dwmw2