HandleInvoke, Sanity failed. no string method in invoke packet

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 11:17:52 PDT 2014

On 11/07/2014 16:20, get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net wrote:
> Is there a hack to workaround this? I've done the above many times,

No.  If rtmpdump receives garbage, there is nothing it - or you - can do
about it.  If you're the same Nick as the OP, then you already know the
solution: use the alternate CDN.

> deleting a partial, but I've also tried chopping a bit off the end of
> the download and attempting to resume from that (probably used dd to

The video files must be edited frame-wise, not byte-wise.  Before
resuming a download, rtmpdump looks for the last frame boundary as a
splice point.  You could use an editor to cut the file on an I-frame
boundary, but I have no idea if that will help.  The "K-S-V" version of
rtmpdump does a better job of locating the splice point, but it cannot
resume BBC streams, so there is no help to be had there.

> I don't have lots of bandwidth at home, I'm on a phone with an older
> radio (280-300k max) and sometimes Three's fair use system is unfair,
> there's weather, reception/phone placement.... I'm interested in being
> able to sometimes rescue a download even if it is a bit of a ball-ache.

You can try using --start and splicing the pieces together yourself.
However, "sanity failed" errors usually appear at the beginning of the
download before much content has been downloaded, so you'll waste less
time by just deleting the partial download and starting over.  You can
also supply a single value to --modes and use --attempts=1 to avoid
unnecessary retries and a bunch of "corrupt file" warnings when rtmpdump
attempts to resume the download.