Creating divx encoded files

Kapitano kapitano72 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:03:50 EST 2014

On 18/02/2014 22:35, Chris Dunne wrote:

> I'm interested in this email chain.
>
> I have two (budget) TVs that both have USB ports and will play Xvid
> files (Divx5) when contained in AVI files fine but will not play mp4s
> directly.
>
> Presently the only way I can watch recordings from get_iplayer is to
> either convert them to Xvid, burn them onto a DVD and play them on my
> Philips DVD player
You can use VirtualDub to convert from MP4.

VirtualDub is here:www.*virtualdub*.org/?
Install this codec to let it read MP4s:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw. This is a 'global' codec,
installed by an exe to your whole system, not just VirtualDub.
A pack of other codecs which might be useful - put these into
VirtualDub's 'Plugins' folder:
http://codecpack.co/download/FFInputDriver.html

Set the video settings to "full processing mode" and Compression to DivX
or Xvid (whatever you have installed). To leave the audio as it is, set
to "direct stream copy" and set the interlacing to 1 frame or 40
milliseconds (same thing). To transcode the audio, set it to "full
processing mode", and also set interlacing to 1 frame.

I'm sure ffmpeg or avconv can be set to convert automatically when you
download the BBC's MP4 - but that's beyond my poor skills.

Something to consider: It may be easier to get a cable which lets you
use your TV as an external monitor. Play the MP4 on the computer, and
watch the output on your TV - essentially, use the computer instead
of the DVD player.