Winter Olympics live stream recording

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 09:07:34 EST 2014

On 10/02/2014 13:19, Paul Phillips wrote:
> I've found by accident that if you just let it run stops at just over
> 4gb anyway and decodes. So no need for a stop command. Not sure
> whether its get_iplayer or the BBC that is stopping the stream

Good to know.

I think I've figured out how to support the Olympics streams without
breaking existing functionality (and thus no need for a special
versionof get_iplayer).  I've merged those changes into the master
branch.  To install, see Git HEAD section in:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/installation

With the latest changes, you should use the player page for the stream
of interest:

get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-olympics/25831835
--modes=best --type=livetv

Note the use of --type=livetv.  That will remove the need to use --force
for recording subsequent chunks of the same programme.  It also adds a
timestamp to the output file name, which means that recording subsequent
chunks won't fail because a pre-existing file is found.  You can still
use --stop.

If the above doesn't work, let me know and fall back to the method I
posted earlier using a special version of get_iplayer.