If you only use GIP to download two things this Christmas...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Dec 24 18:11:03 PST 2014

On Wed Dec 24 19:51:26 GMT 2014, Jonathan H wrote:

> get_iplayer.cmd --type=radio --pid=b04vf25d

 Merry Christmas everyone!
 I will now share a find that will, no doubt, be of interest
to the maintainer of GiP, our dear dinkypumpkin:

It appears that for some radio programmes,
the use of the mediaselector/5 API (the default now in 2.91)
and the mediaset=apple-ipad-hls (instead of the currently
used mediaset=mobile-tablet-main) will reveal a "new"
radiomode, let's call it httpaac, which is un-encrypted
and readily downloadable via plain http (not hls/hds)
with the aid of a simple browser/download manager.
pid=b04vf25d via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vf25d/playlist.json
returns
vpid=b04vf21b
Just visit:
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/apple-ipad-hls/vpid/b04vf21b

(uses geo-location) and you'll find in the XML code
an entry with  supplier="sis_http_open";
use the  href="..." URI associated with said supplier
and "save link as" (with a file extension .mp4/.m4a/.3gp);
the token (?at=....) has a limited lifespan and has to
be renewed by reloading the ms5 URL.

Inspection of the file with MediaInfo reveals
that it's a tagged (but without an embedded thumbnail)
MP4 file, with "3GPP Media Release 4" format profile,
targeting mobile (audio) devices - however it plays fine
in any software media player...
Attached are MI logs for both the UK (httpaacstd)
& Int'l (httpaaclow) flavours of the file.
This "new" method tested to apply on most R4/R4X
shows -  I also tested on a R3 show (b04vd5wk)
and indeed I could find a httpaachigh (320kbps) mode
(for the UK), which came in the form of an untagged
mp4 file, with "format profile = Base Media".
No R1/R2 httpaac modes found so far - perhaps
supplier="sis_http_open" is only used for speech-only
content or other type of content with less restrictive rights...
 Should this new fetch method be incorporated into GiP,
it'll provide for fastest downloads (faster than flashaac
modes & considerably faster than hlsaac ones) for the PIDs
it is available...unless, of course, the beeb kill it soon,
now it's in the open - I guess it's the age-old dilemma:
To tell or not-to-tell ?

Festive cheers,
Vangelis.